Every business has an accounting method no matter how disorganised. If you are like a lot of small business owners, you are likely to have a manual system (using Excel for example); but, while using spreadsheets may seem simpler to you because you are used to it, it is not always best. In fact, it is neither easier nor more efficient than using a computerised system such as MYOB, so it may be time to rethink how you do accounts.
5 Reasons to Switch to MYOB
MYOB or (Mind Your Own Business) is a computerised accounting package that gives you the ability to handle your business finances like a professional. The benefits are many and once you use the program correctly you should start reaping them immediately. Additionally, using this (or another) computerised system can help you cut the cost of bookkeeping or accounting outsourcing fees.
1) Faster input: Manual entries can be more time consuming. This is especially so when you have to be creating headings or labels as you go alone. As a matter of fact, manual systems can require multiple entries per transaction and are likely to be more complex. The more complex the system the more time it will take.
2) Greater cost cutting: A computerised accounting package like MYOB offers up-to-date, accurate and easy to access financial information. This means that audit and accounting expenses will be much less than they are likely to be with a complex manual system that only you can readily understand
3) Makes GST filing easier: Having all the information compiled makes running any report you need easy. Plus, programs like MYOB automatically create the figures you will need to file a normal GST return. This saves you from having to sift through multiple sheets attempting to extract details.
4) Quick access to management information: The state of your business finances is important because it will help you plan for the future as well as make wise decisions in the present. This means that being able to study things like your business’ cash flow, sales records and order invoices is important as well. Using a program like MYOB makes generating reports and invoices easy, so you do not waste time extracting and sifting through data in order to run reports.
5) Improved accuracy: Having less areas to fill in means you are less likely to make errors that can cost you time and money. This is so because these types of software often require just one figure for each transaction. This makes it easier to keep track of the task as well as to double check entries.
The list of benefits to a program such as MYOB is far longer, but the main point is clear. These programs save you time and money, make your work easier, as well as help you to be more efficient. Luckily, a bookkeeper can help you get started on structuring your company finances and can show you how to maintain the order you achieve through your computerised accounting program.